32nd Annual CQA/ACC TrendTex Challenge “2020”
TrendTex Fabrics, Inc. is, once again, generously donating the wonderful fabrics for the theme, 2020. Kits will be available October 1, 2019 for members and November 1, 2019 for non-members.
- Fabric Use: All five of the fabrics in the kit must be clearly visible on the front of the wall quilt. You may use three additional fabrics of your own choosing. Each kit consists of five TrendTex fabrics cut into fat quarters.
- The TrendTex Award is presented for the best use of fabric, using only the five fabrics in the 2020 Challenge Kit. To be eligible, only the five kit fabrics may be used on the front of the wall quilt (including binding). Additional fabrics may be included on the back.
- Design may be modern or traditional and any combination of machine and/or hand piecing, appliqué or quilting is acceptable. Embellishments are at the quilter’s discretion. Judges will follow the current CQA/ACC Guidelines for Quiltmaking Competions.
- Size: Perimeter of the finished piece must not be larger than 120” (regardless of shape). There is no minimum size restriction.
- Finishing: The wall quilt must be completely finished, including all aspects of quilting, binding, and needlework/embroidery and labelled.
- Hanging Sleeve: At least 2” wide, stitched onto the back of the wall quilt.
- Label: The label on the back of the wall quilt is to include: title, artist’s name, date completed and credits. For any techniques not your own, please give credit to the sources and obtain written permission if using another person’s design. Please remember to respect copyright.
- Mailed request letters for purchasing kits are to be postmarked no earlier than Oct. 1, 2019 for members only. Non-members may purchase a kit after November 1, 2019. Kits are limited to 1 per person until January 1, 2020. Additional kits may be purchased after that date, if available.
- Deadlines: Wall quilts are due April 6, 2020 to be eligible for judging and must meet all challenge rules.
- All wall quilts become the property of the CQA/ACC and will be displayed at Quilt Canada 2020, June 18 – 20, 2020, in Edmonton, AB. The majority of wall quilts will be sold by silent auction ending June 20, 2020.
- Prizes are awarded to CQA/ACC members only for:
- TrendTex Award (first place)
- Second and third place for wall quilt
- Judges’ Choice Awards may also be given.
- A Viewers’ Choice Award will be announced in the early afternoon on June 20, 2020.
- The TrendTex Award winning wall quilt will be given, as a gesture of thanks, to TrendTex Fabrics Inc. and will not be auctioned.
Entries will be photographed and may be used in Canadian Quilter magazine, on the CQA/ACC website or for other promotional purposes.
Thank you for participating in the CQA/ACC TrendTex Challenge! We welcome all wall quilts and look forward to seeing and displaying your challenges in Edmonton.
Online purchase link will be available as of October 1, 2019
Kit prices are $23 for members and $28 for non-members (includes taxes and postage)
New This Year
Starting this year we are asking you to complete an online quilt entry form before you mail your finished quilt to Irene Lafleche.
How is how it works:
- Finish your TrendTex challenge quilt following the guidelines.
- Take a photo of your quilt
- Go to our website at www.canadianquilter.com/trendtex-challenge-2020
- Complete the online entry form and upload a picture of the quilt where indicated. (Entry form will be available from Dec.1, 2019 to May 6, 2020)
- Once your online entry form is received by Irene, she will email your confirmation of entry and any instructions for mailing the quilt to her.
- Follow Irene’s instructions and mail your quilt to her adhering to the following deadlines:
– Quilts must be received by Irene before April 6, 2020 to be eligible for the judged prizes
– Quilts must be received by Irene before May 27, 2020 if you would like to donate your quilt to participate in the silent auction fundraiser at Quilt Canada 2020, but don’t care to have your quilt judged.