The theme for the 2018 TrendTex Challenge is “Celebrate”. Trend-Tex Fabrics has once again generously donated the fabrics for the theme. Kits will be available starting October 1, 2017.
- Fabric Use: All 5 of the fabrics in the kit must be clearly visible on the front of the wallquilt. You may use 3 additional fabrics of your own choosing. Each kit consists of 5 Trend-Tex fabrics, cut into fat quarters.
- The Trend-Tex Award is presented for the best use of fabric, using only the five fabrics in the 2018 Challenge Kit. To be eligible, only the 5 kit fabrics may be used on the front of the wallquilt (includes binding). Additional fabrics may be included on the back.
- Design may be original or traditional and any combination of machine and/or hand piecing, appliqué or quilting is acceptable. Embellishments are at the quilter’s discretion. Judges will follow the current CQA/ACC Quilting Standards and Guidelines for Competitive Quiltmaking.
- Size: Perimeter of the finished piece must not be larger than 120”, regardless of shape. There is no minimum size restriction.
- Finishing: The wallquilt must be completely finished, including all aspects of quilting, binding, and needlework/embroidery
- Hanging Sleeve: at least 2” wide, on the back of the wallquilt.
- Label on the back of the wallquilt to include: title, artist’s name, date completed and credits. For any techniques that are not your own, please give credit to the sources and obtain written permission if using another person’s design. Please remember to respect copyright.
- Request letters to purchase kits are to be postmarked no earlier than Oct. 1, 2017 for Members only. Non Members may purchase a kit after November 1, 2017. Kits are limited to 1 per person until January 1, 2018. Then additional kits may be purchased, if available.
- Deadlines: Wallquilts are due April 8, 2018 to be eligible for judging and must meet all challenge rules.
- All wallquilts become the property of the CQA/ACC and will be displayed at Quilt Canada 2018, May 31 – June 2, 2018, in Vancouver, BC. The majority of wallquilts will be sold by silent auction ending June 2, 2018.
- Prizes are awarded to CQA/ACC members only for:
- 1st, 2nd, 3rd for wallquilt.
- Trend-Tex Award
- Judges’ Choice Awards may also be given.
- A Viewers’ Choice Award will be announced at 2 pm on June 2, 2018.
- The Trend-Tex Award winning wallquilt will be given, as a gesture of thanks, to Trend-Tex Fabrics Inc. and will not be auctioned.
Entries will be photographed and may be used in Canadian Quilter, on the CQA/ACC website or for other promotional purposes.
Thank you for participating in the CQA/ACC Trend-Tex Challenge! We welcome all wallquilts and look forward to seeing and displaying your challenges in Vancouver.