In 2009, the Canadian Quilters’ Association/Association canadienne de la courtepointe (CQA/ACC) launched a program to certify quilt judges called the Quilt Judge Certification Program or QJCP.
The Certified Judge
To become a certified quilt judge there are important areas of knowledge and skills required. Quilt judges need to have a comprehensive background of quilting knowledge encompassing traditional, innovative and current quilting styles and techniques, as well as a solid understanding of the principles of colour and design. A judge must be able to express their findings in positive, constructive terms, using appropriate language. They must be able to work with co-judges and show staff cooperatively.
- This is a one-day class to give an introduction to judging and is designed for anyone thinking about becoming a
judge, scribe, juror or aide.
- Also designed for those interested in organizing a judged show, entering a judged show or broadening their knowledge.
- This module is available as a stand-alone workshop for interested groups or guilds and at the annual CQA/ACC conference.
- Home study.
- Required reading, book reports
- Intensive classroom instruction which is evaluated. Concludes with an interview.
- In-depth study of colour, design and workmanship in quilts, textile arts and clothing
- Written and oral critiques will be stressed
- Apprentice Judges gain experience judging and jurying which is evaluated by the show organizers using the CQA/ACC documents provided
- An extensive mock judging exercise at a CQA/ACC National Juried Show
- Candidates are evaluated on oral and written critiques and their ability to negotiate with co- judges
- Certified Judges attend the annual professional development day at the CQA/ACC national conference
- Assume jury and judging duties for the NJS as required
- Submit documentation of Continuing Professional Development, annually
Our QJCP Instructors are Joyce Brown and Judy Villett. If you have any questions about this program, please send an email to email@example.com
For current Module pricing, please contact Jackie Philpott, Admin Asst at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download a pdf copy of the QJCP brochure – click here