In 2009, the Canadian Quilters’ Association / Association canadienne de la courtepointe (CQA/ACC) launched a program to certify Quilt Judges. It was created to ensure that quilts entered into judged competitions are evaluated by qualified Judges. Upon completion of the program candidates will hold a professional designation, CQA / ACC Certified Quilt Judge.
The Certified Judge
To become a Certified Quilt Judge there are important areas of knowledge and skills required. Quilt Judges need to have a comprehensive background of quilting knowledge, encompassing traditional, innovative and current quilting styles and techniques, as well as a solid understanding of the principles of colour and design. A Judge must be able to express their findings in positive, constructive terms, using appropriate language. They must be able to work with Co-Judges and Show staff cooperatively.
- A one-day class designed to give an introduction to judging
- Designed for anyone thinking about becoming a Judge, Scribe, Juror, or Aide
- Also for those interested in organizing a judged show, entering a judged show or broadening knowledge.
- Fee: $150
- Six to twelve months of home study
- Required reading, journaling and sampling from assigned books
- Analyzing quilts
- List of additional books read, classes taken or other on- going quilting / art education
- Fee: $100
- Four days of intensive classroom instruction plus an interview and evaluation on day five
- In depth study on evaluating colour, design and skills in quilts, textile arts and clothing
- Written and oral encouraging comments will be stressed
- Fee: $900
- Apprentice Judges spend up to three years gaining experience judging and jurying
- The show organizers will evaluate your performance
- Home study as required in the Module 3 interview
- Documentation of Continuing Professional Development
- Fee: $100
- An extensive mock judging exercise at a CQA/ACC National Juried Show
- Candidates are evaluated for their oral and written comments and ability to negotiate with co- judges
- Fee: $200
Quilt Judge Certification
- Professional dues
- Certified Judges will submit documentation of Continuing Professional Development
- A program to monitor and record professional development activities is planned.
Module 1 & 5 will be offered one year with Module 3 on alternate years.
Our QJCP Instructors are Joyce Brown and Judy Villett. If you have any questions about this program, please send an email to email@example.com