The NJS will take place at Quilt Canada 2020, June 18-20, 2020, Edmonton Convention Centre in Edmonton, Alberta.
Entries for the 2020 National Juried Show (NJS) will be accepted commencing November 1, 2019 and will close as of January 31, 2020 at 12:00 pm (noon) EST. Please refer to the procedures and requirements below for more detailed information.
Entry is open to all Canadian citizens and permanent residents, as well as non-resident members of the CQA/ACC. No member of the CQA/ACC Board of Directors, its staff or contractors may enter a quilt in the NJS.
For an entry to be accepted please review the following:
- The online entry form must be filled in completely, including all the required photographs and documents.
- Once your entries are submitted, you will be prompted to proceed to our secure online payment page. Fees per entry: Members $30.00, Non-Members $80.00. (GST/HST applies.)
- NOTE: Your CQA/ACC membership number MUST be provided on the entry form to receive the member rate. No refunds or adjustments will be made if your number is not entered. If you need to confirm your member number, contact email@example.com before completing your entry.
In some cases, e.g., if photographs do not conform to requirements or if you experience issues with online payment, the entry will be accepted as incomplete and assigned a “pending” status. In such cases, you will receive an email with instructions on how to complete the entry process.
The Jury Coordinator may contact the entrant to discuss an entry that may be in the wrong category and, with the entrant’s permission, may move the entry into another category.
There is no limit on the number of entries. All entries must be received and completed – with no pending status – before 12:00 PM (noon) EST on January 31, 2020.
Submissions will be juried/judged according to CQA/ACC Quilting Standards and the Elements and Principles of Design. Entries will be selected based on the quality of the digital images that you submit and also the accompanying Artist’s Statement. Decisions of the jurors and judges are final; there is no appeal process.
ABSTRACT & IMPROVISATIONAL
Entry must be non-pictorial, with emphasis on colour, line and design.
ART DEPICTION OF HUMAN OR ANIMAL FORM
Entry must illustrate some recognizable aspect of the human or animal form.
LANDSCAPES & STILL LIFE
Entry must illustrate some recognizable aspect of natural or man-made scenery or a recognizable object(s).
Entry is a direct copy, interpretation of, or inspired by another artists’ original work i.e. painting, photograph, illustration, sculpture, etc. Permission must be provided by the artist. Please see the Copyright Information for further information. The original artist must be recognized under Design and Credits section. Note: This includes all Indigenous designs.
PATTERNS/BOOKS/MAGAZINES or SOCIAL MEDIA – WALL HANGING AND BED QUILTS
Entry may be a Traditional, Contemporary or Modern design that uses a published pattern. Credit must be given to all pattern designers, book authors or publishers. Provide names in Design and Credits section.
TRADITIONAL – WALL HANGING AND BED QUILTS
Entry must be an original design based on traditional-style piecing, appliqué or whole cloth. Historical blocks in the public domain may be used.
MODERN – WALL HANGING AND BED QUILTS
Entry must be an original design. Minimalism, asymmetry, use of negative space, improvisational piecing, solids or modern prints and alternate grid work are aspects of the Modern Quilt Movement. Historical blocks in the public domain may be used. Quilts from published patterns are not eligible.
MINIATURE (TRADITIONAL, CONTEMPORARY, ART OR MODERN)
Entry must be a reduced scale and miniaturization of a full-size project, maximum perimeter of 72″. Pieced blocks may not be any larger than 4″.
- Other than Textile Translations and Patterns/Books/Magazine or Social Media, entries into all other categories must be of original design and composition. “Original” means based on the entrants’ own photograph, painting or drawing.
- Designs from books, patterns, magazines, and social media, e.g. Pinterest, can only be entered in the Patterns/Books/Magazines, or Social Media category.
- Entries started in a workshop or resulting from a workshop must be entered in the Textile Translations category with appropriate credits given.
- Entries from kits will not be accepted in any category.
- Group Entry – Multiple Artists – All artists in the group entry must adhere to the Entry Requirements outlined below. Any entry where three or more people, none receiving payment for any part of the work, create sections of the entry which are combined into one quilt with a unified theme. The sections may be sewn together or be individual pieces arranged so that the whole entry hangs as one item. Group Quilts may be entered in any category.
- CQA/ACC Guild Rosette Invitational Quilt – Quilts entered into the NJS may also be entered into the CQA/ACC Guild Rosette Invitational concurrent show. If the Rosette winning quilt is accepted into the NJS, the rosette winner must be withdrawn from the concurrent show.
Documents and Links
Photography for the NJS
November 1, 2019 • Submissions begin
January 31, 2020, 12:00 pm (noon) EST • Submissions close
Mar 9-13, 2020 • Notification Letters
Jun 18-20, 2020 • Edmonton Convention Centre, Edmonton, Alberta
2020 Jury TBA
2020 Judges TBA
2020 NJS Awards:
• Best of Show
• Dorothy McMurdie Founders Award
• Excellence in Domestic Machine Quilting
• Excellence in Hand Quilting
• Excellence in Longarm quilting
• Excellence in Workmanship for Appliqué
• Excellence in Workmanship for Piecing
• Excellence in Threadwork using WonderFil Thread
• Excellence in Group Quilt
• Excellence for Work by a First Time Exhibitor
• Excellence in Innovation
• Category, 1st place
• Category, 2nd place
• Category, 3rd place
• Judge’s Choice – one per judge
• Viewers’ Choice
Note: All Awards may not be presented.
2020 Sponsors TBA
If your entry is juried into the NJS, you will be giving permission for your entry to be photographed. This includes photographs by the public, by CQA/ACC Sponsors and by CQA/ACC for archival records, all aspects of CQA/ACC online social media, the Canadian Quilter magazine and/or other publications and advertisements created by CQA/ACC. By accepting any of the NJS sponsored prizes, you are giving permission to sponsors to use the quilt image in their social media platforms and in conjunction with their marketing and sales activities.
- Entry is open to all Canadian citizens, Canadian permanent residents, and CQA/ACC individual members. (If you are not a Canadian citizen or resident, you MUST be a CQA/ACC member to enter).
- Credit must be given to the person who inspired the work (artist/teacher, etc.). Provide the name in Design and Credits section.
- Acknowledgement must be given to everyone participating in the execution of the work. Provide names in Design and Credits section.
- Work must have been completed after January 1, 2018.
- Quilts must not exceed 436 inches in perimeter. No one side may exceed 109″.
- Work must not have been shown in a Canadian national-level juried/judged quilting exhibition/competition prior to June 2020.
- Artists submitting works from outside of Canada will be responsible for all customs arrangements and all transportation costs.
- Incomplete entry forms not finalized by January 31st, 2020 will be refused (see Entry Procedure).
- The Artist’s Statement is a maximum of 50 words. Do not include names or other information that would identify the maker.
- All entries must be 3 layers held together with a stitch. Quilting stitches are not required to be visible on the back of the Abstract and Improvisational, Art Depiction of Human or Animal Form, Landscape & Still Life categories.
- Entries must be able to be displayed by hanging on pipe and drape.
- Framed or mounted art quilts must have clear assembly instruction included with the work. Additional charges will be applied to return the framed entry. Work behind glass will not be accepted.
- If a wall quilt requires a second sleeve to assure proper hanging, you must advise us at the time of entry to ensure that arrangements can be made.
- By completing the NJS Call for Entry you are agreeing to allow your work to be displayed for the duration of the NJS. If your work is accepted into the NJS and then is not available for the exhibit, subsequent entries from you will not be considered for two consecutive National Juried Shows.
- Accepted works that differ from the digital photos submitted with entry or do not meet CQA/ACC Quilting Standards will not be hung.
- Quilts for Sale: If you wish to take advantage of the option to sell your quilt at Quilt Canada, please note that CQA/ACC will retain 20% of the sale price as a commission.
- Signatures or any other identifying mark on the front of your submission must be covered by the artist or the piece will be ineligible for judging.
- Photographs must be taken and submitted as required for both jurying and printing purposes.
- Accepted quilts will be printed in the National Juried Show Catalogue and award-winning quilts will be printed in the autumn issue of Canadian Quilter magazine
- For all wall quilts, submit two (2) digital images: a full view and a detail of quilting stitches.
- For all bed quilts, submit three (3) digital images: a full view, a detail of quilting stitches and the quilt on an appropriately-sized bed. Please make sure the bed photo shows how the quilt hangs off the bed in relation to the floor.
- Images must conform to guidelines laid out in the 2020 NJS Photography Guide on the CQA/ACC website.
- The full-view image must show the overall view of your work including all edges and be taken straight on (parallel to the quilt edges).
- Ensure that the quilt lays or hangs flat and the shape is not distorted.
- Use a pressed, white or neutral grey sheet placed behind the quilt to avoid distracting background clutter.
- Do NOT use clips or hands to hold the quilt for the photographic process… they hide the edges, which must be shown.
- Images must be free from textual or other information revealing the identity of the artist.
- The quilting stitches must show clearly in the detail image.
- Images must be in JPG format with a minimum file size of 1.5 MB (e.g., 2000px by 1500px.)
- Save file with your last name, first name and the quilt name separated by dashes. Use this format: smith-jane-white-feathers-on-snow.jpg.
CQA/ACC abides by all Canadian copyright laws. Due to international copyright agreements, all international entrants must abide by their country’s copyright laws. The copyright information is provided to ensure that your entry complies with Canadian copyright laws. Please refer to the NJS Copyright Information for detailed information pertaining to copyright and your NJS entry.
The CQA/ACC thanks you for participating, and look forward to seeing your entries in Edmonton.
NJS Jury Coordinator – firstname.lastname@example.org – for questions relating to your entry, such as category, etc.
Jackie Philpott, Admin Asst, email@example.com – for technical difficulties in completing the entry form and payment questions
Printable copy of the 2020 NJS Call For Entry – Click here